Monday, August 16, 2010

Joker joker, deuce deuce

Alrighty - so, this is my first semi-new event.
Now, what I actually did wasn't new, but the way I found what I was going to do was new.

There is this site called meetup.com and it basically helps people find others to connect with that have similar interest. So, lets say you like to work out, or take pictures, or enjoy wine tasting. Maybe you're looking for a place to network with people in your field... you know... whatever. You go to this site and search by interest and/or zip code. You see a group you like, sign up to join and then wait on events or meetings to be scheduled. I'm a member of a few MeetUp groups but have never made it to any events. Stuff would always come up at the last minute... so... yea... the fact that I actually made it to an event was new to me :)

The group I recently joined was for people who like to play spades. I love, love, LOVE to play spades. I actually like to play games in general.
But spades... well... thats not a game! Thats real life!!!

One of the members of the group decided to host a spades party at his home Saturday. It was a free weekend for me so I figured why not?! Even though I've played spades many many times - hell, I just played about a week ago - the point is that I've never been to a MeetUp event. Right?

I'm making the rules here. So in my head - this counted.

I RSVP'd for the event and found out I was being put on a waiting list. Apparently only 50 people were allowed to sign up at one time and all others would have to wait for spots to open should folks cancel. About 2 days after signing up, I got an email that a spot opened.
Yeek! I was in!

I got the notification about a week or so before the event and as the days began to dwindle down, the emails about the event started to roll in... with the following subject lines:
"Card tables needed"
"BYOB"
"Pot luck style"

I should have known...

I decided to check the event details again and noticed that it was to start at 4:00... on a Saturday? Really???

*shurgs*

I get there and it's like 4:30/4:45. As I've mentioned previously, I'm a stickler for being on time. It's just what I do. I hate being late anywhere. Even a party. I just have this thing about promptness. But, I actually planned on being late to this event because, well, I know how brown people do. And do you know I was still  only the 3rd person there! And the other 2 people were just getting out of the (same) car as I was pulling up. Sigh...

Mind you, 50 people RSVPd. And at almost 5:00... an hour into the event... and there were only 5 of us.
Me.
The two chicks that pulled up just ahead of me.
The host.
And his moms. Yes... his mother.

So, I handed ma-dukes the 2 for $6 cookies I picked up from Kroger. She smiled and said "Oh! How nice! Someone else brought the exact same thing!" She took them from me then gave a smile as if to say "You so d@mn cheap" and instead of putting the cookies on the counter with the other items, she put them in the pantry. After she went upstairs I got them out and placed them on the counter with the rest of the "food". She aint slick! Ma, I see you trying to make sure you have enough snacks for lunch this week.

The rest of us - not including the cookie monster -  sat around and talked nonsense for about 20 minutes before I finally said "So whats up with some spades?!" Hell, all we needed were 4 people so I wasn't quite sure what the hold up was.
I had a purpose and it wasn't to sit around an discuss health care reform.
I wanted to put my foot up somebodys a$$ on that card table!

Once we got into the game I started to enjoy myself. I'm not sure what time it was by this point but more people started to show up. And so did more food. Me and my partner won and it was at that point people decided it was a good time to start eating. It was also at that point I realized men should never host parties without the help of women.
Here's a list of all the things he DIDN'T have: Plastic ware. Ice. Serving utensils. Card tables. Napkins.Hot sauce (insert racist joke). Music. Chairs. And... hold on... wait for it... cards! Lol!!!
The cards we were playing with moments prior were MINE. Because like all people with class, I carry playing cards with me WHEREVER I go.

No, seriously. Next time you see me at Church, try me. 

When more people showed up and wanted to get on a game, there weren't even any cards for them to play with. Eventually a lady showed up and had extra cards, tables and chairs. Only thing I can come up with is that her and the host planned this together and she was late. But hell, by the time she arrived me and a few other folks had already gone to our trunks to retrieve our fold up lawn chars.

As the night progressed, more people began to show up. Not all 50 came but I'd say throughout the whole night, maybe 30 or so people flowed in and out. 27 women and 3 guys. No lie. 3 whole men the entire night. In my previous life I would have considered this a bust (no pun intended). But in my new life it was merely an observation. I did meet this really funny chick there and we hit it off real well. She told me that every winter she goes home to Michigan to ski! I told her that I'd love to do that and she extended an invite. Yay!!!
As long as she doesn't turn out to be crazy, I'm definitely going to take her up on that offer.
Blog entry to follow!

::side note:: This girl was very interesting. While we were playing cards, me, her, the host and another female got to talking about all black folks favorite topic. No, not Obama, but relationships. We spent about 2 hours just grilling this dude about women and dating. Through conversation I discovered that my soon to be new friend was a Christian, she was very active in her Church, the singles ministry, and was celibate. But check it... she's going to school to be a Sex Therapist! I'm so intrigued and really looking forward to getting to know her. I love meeting people and hearing their story.

All in all I had fun. I played spades! Met some really cool people. Set up a ski adventure for next year. And got some great suggestions for groups to add to Pandora (I forgot all about The Jets, JJ Fad and Oaktown 357)

Besides... anything beats crying yourself to sleep on a Saturday night!

4 comments:

  1. BaaaHaHa @ Cookie Monster! I think you should be a sketch writer for a comedy show in your next life! This post was too damn funny! (& so true about a man trying to host a party w/o the help of a woman!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying yourself to sleep....definitely not fun...how inspiring this new thing you are doing is to me. Just think...while your were in a relationship, I was single doing nothing but working every weekend (SMH)You are now single and keeping the focus on you. I Love IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Laughed all the way through it! I'm so proud of you and I think it's wonderful that you are on this new adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Other Kim (cute name!) - Sketch writer I am not. However, I do tend to find humor in my own boring life lol. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    Dannica - I'm glad you're inspired. Maybe you can join me on an adventure or two... from what I remember you have a wild side :)

    D's Mom - Glad I could provide a little entertainment. That will be $9.99 (I'm cheap and I take food stamps!)

    ReplyDelete